Snow days provide a wonderful opportunity to pause and reflect in life. Whether you’re held up in a hotel or hunkered down at home with family while the world outside is brought to its knees by Mother Nature, the best thing to do is to utilize it! So on this fine Ontario Snow Day, I’d like to suggest that you take some time now to reflect, re-assess and re-align your direction. I call it a life tune-up!
Here are some ways to do that:
- What course correction is needed in my life right now? Based on all the new information and experiences and learning since you took a pause and reflected on things last, what needs to change to make sure you are tracking on target once again? A full review of all areas of your life is in order once in a while to identify adjustments that might be needed on the plan.
- Where have I stopped honouring my boundaries (that is, my values and beliefs)? As time goes on, sometimes we let our boundaries slide, and then we find ourselves in a situation that is uncomfortable, frustrating or downright ugly. Often this is a direct result of not honouring our own boundaries. Now is a great time to ask, “where did I say ‘yes’ when I should have said ‘no’?” and, “what truth of mine do I need to communicate in order to honour my self?”. And example might be, “I am not willing to be around people who
- What do I want? So often we forget how to allow our ‘wanter’ to be activated, by believing something unattainable, too much work, or a pipe dream. But every now and then it’s good to let those lost dreams bubble up, to play with them and adjust them until we gain some new clarity about that positive future outcome that we’d just love to create. So pause and ask yourself, “what do I really want? really?”
- What’s the first step I need to take? Backtracking from that exciting dream or goal, what are the milestones that need to occur back to now? It’s far easier to figure out the immediate next step if we work backwards from the final outcome and identify the milestones needed to be achieved back to the present.
- What’s holding me back? Really, what’s getting in the way? What gets me stuck? And what support do I need to get through or around the obstacle to get back on track? Sometimes the thing that’s in the way is removed simply in the process of identifying it. Other times, some work is required to uncover the root cause and to devise a solution.
So I hope you enjoy this break from the routine, even if it only afforded you a remote work situation for the day. And I wish you all the best as you re-align your life towards more of what matters most and more enjoyment and success.
How do you keep you life on track? Please share!